Saturday, March 3, 2012

Today's Devotional brought to you by prayer warrior Michelle Simpson

Genesis 45:1-5

New King James Version (NKJV)

Joseph Revealed to His Brothers

45 Then Joseph could not restrain himself before all those who stood by him, and he cried out, “Make everyone go out from me!” So no one stood with him while Joseph made himself known to his brothers. 2 And he wept aloud, and the Egyptians and the house of Pharaoh heard it.
3 Then Joseph said to his brothers, “I am Joseph; does my father still live?” But his brothers could not answer him, for they were dismayed in his presence. 4 And Joseph said to his brothers, “Please come near to me.” So they came near. Then he said: “I am Joseph your brother, whom you sold into Egypt. 5 But now, do not therefore be grieved or angry with yourselves because you sold me here; for God sent me before you to preserve life.

When Joseph revealed himself to his brothers it says, "they could not anwer because they were dismayed in his presence." The word "dismayed" is from the Hebrew word "bahal" which means disturbed, alarmed, dismayed, afraid, anxious, hurried, terrified. Being confronted with sin we thought was hidden is terrifying! It often renders us speechless as our minds try to process what just transpired and scramble for what to say or do next. We try to search our minds for excuses we can give or someone to blame to get us out of our uncomfortable situation or at least lessen the severity of it. Joseph's brothers were stuck. They had been confronted by the very one they had sinned against. There would be no excuse or laying of blame, Joseph had been there and experienced every minute.

Joseph broke the uncomfortable silence. He called them near to him, he spoke words of forgiveness over them and told them to fogive themselves because it had all been part of God's Divine plan to preserve his people. He embraced each one and wept with them. Our sins are always visible to God. Every sin we commit is against Him as well as anyone living on this earth we may have offended. The Psalmist reminds us in Psalm 139 there is no where we can hide from God. God Himself tells us He will never leave us or forsake us (Hebrews 13:5). God knows the burden of carring unconfessed sin and like Joseph He calls us to Him, to repent and turn from our sins, to cast all of our cares upon Him, and to give Him our burdens. He embraces us in His love, pours His mercy, grace and forgiveness over us and welcomes us to live with Him forever. We stand in awe speechless at His incredible love!

Father, Savior, thank You for loving me so deeply. Thank You for pouring out Your love and forgiveness on me! Thank You for calling me to You and confronting me with my sin so I can be relieved of my burdens! I confess I have sinned against You. Help me LORD! In Jesus name, amen!

No comments: