Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Daily Devotional

Brought to you by prayer warrior Jonathan Vasgar

Forgiveness

Verses: Matthew 18:21-22 'Then Peter came to Him and said, "Lord, how often shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? Up to seven times?" Jesus said to him, "I do not say to you, up to seven times, but up to seventy times seven.'

Before we begin, I ask that you read the rest of that chapter. Jesus tells of a rich king who brought before him one of his servants in deep debt. The man had no way to pay. None. He was done for. Rather than throw him in jail, the king had compassion on him and spared him. Yet, that same forgiven man went out and found someone who owed him a small amount. He choked him and demanded the money back. How sad that a man forgiven of so much could be so cruel to another!

Yet aren't we the same way? Think about it. We have been forgiven of so much by our Saviour. As we approach Easter, my mind thinks of how much He freely gave. His kingly life in Heaven for a humble life on Earth. A cushy palace for a dusty road. A whole body for a broken, bloody one. He gave it ALL. We sinned against Him, yet He forgave us. Why are we then so bitter against others we feel have wronged us?

Jesus told Peter to forgive up to 70X7 and- before you get all cynical on me- notice that Jesus wasn't saying to start a tally on someone and when they reach 491 times, to just cut them off! He was rather saying, 'Don't count the number of times, just keep forgiving.' I'll admit I forgot that. I had been harboring such bitterness and anger towards someone that I couldn't let it go. All it did was destroy me inside. It wasn't until recently that I finally went to that person and asked for forgiveness for despising them. I'm not perfect, there are still times when I really don't like a person, but it's not right. Hate is not Godly. I John 2:9 'He who says he is in the light, and hates his brother, is in darkness until now.' If we walk in the light, we forgive. Jesus Himself said, "And forgive us our debts, As we forgive our debtors." It's part of our daily prayer life (or it should be).

So, how about it? Who in your life is in need of forgiveness? Your spouse who's been on the couch for a month? Your friend who you don't speak to anymore? Or that person you glare at that has no idea what's going on? Perhaps, even yourself. Don't let bitterness leave you in the darkness. Think of the Amazing Love our Father has for us. Don't be the ungrateful servant. Live your life in the light. Be free of the chains of hatred and walk in the freedom of Christ's forgiveness.
 

No comments: