Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Security

Psalm 51:11-13


New King James Version (NKJV)
11 Do not cast me away from Your presence,
And do not take Your Holy Spirit from me.
12 Restore to me the joy of Your salvation,
And uphold me by Your generous Spirit.
13 Then I will teach transgressors Your ways,
And sinners shall be converted to You.

Romans 8:37-39


New King James Version (NKJV)
37 Yet in all these things we are more than conquerors through Him who loved us. 38 For I am persuaded that neither death nor life, nor angels nor principalities nor powers, nor things present nor things to come, 39 nor height nor depth, nor any other created thing, shall be able to separate us from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Yesterday I heard part of an uplifting message on Pilgrim Radio. The gentleman was talking about David and Saul, God's removal of His spirit from Saul and the assurance we have as believers in our salvation. We know from scripture that God is no respecter of persons and that Jesus taught that sin is sin. There are not verying degrees of sin. In fact Jesus taught that the mere thought of committing the act was the same as committing the sin.  Saul disobeyed God; he did not utterly destroy the Amalekites and all of their belongings. He spared Agag, the king, and allowed the people to keep the best possesions. David also sinned; he commited adultery and then tried to cover it up with murder. Both lost something because of their sin. Saul lost the kingdom and God's Spirit, David lost a child and eventually the kingdom.

Romans 8:38-39 tells us that once we belong to God, nothing can separate us from his love. I have always been convinced thatthis is true, but I also believe it is wrong to take pieces of scripture and use them to promote my beliefs. God gave us all of scripture so that we can have a more complete picture of whi He is and what He desires. Psalm 51 was written after David's sin had been pointed out to him by Nathan. David knew God could and would take His Spirit away from those who turned away from God. He had seen it happen to Saul, so David pleads with God not to remove His Holy Spirit from him. David had seen what happened to Saul as a result and wanted no part of that. There is another piece of information here that I overlooked when reading Psalm 51, perhaps you have too. David does not plead with God to restore his salvation. He asks God to restore the joy of God's salvation to himDavid's sin had separated him from God and caused him great anguish. David records in Psalm 32 the physical, emotional and mental consequences of his sin, now he wanted God to forgive him and restore the joy of his salvation to him.

So take heart Believer! If you find yourself separated from God because of sin, you have not forfeited your salvation. You may have lost your joy. Repent, return to the Source of your joy and ask Him to restore the joy of His salvation to you. He will!

Father, thank You for the security and assuance of my salvation! Thank You that You promise that nothing can separate me from Your immeasuable love fo me! Father I know that my sin can and has separated me from You. Forgive my for my transgressions, ceate in me a clean heart and restore to me the joy of Your salvation. I pray in Jesus, healing, powerful name, amen








No comments: