Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Matthew Barrett - Living with Pain


Click to listen to and enjoy his moving radio interview.                                 
Guest Writer!
I grew up in a small middle class family in western Colorado. Grand Junction was my home until I was in my late teens. I have three siblings 2 brothers and a sister, we don’t see each other or talk much anymore, though to be honest I was never really close to any of them. The black sheep I suppose. I grew up watching cancer change and destroy my life and family. Going to dr. after dr for problem after problem and all the while trying to hide it from those around me in school and in public. 

I was asked at my 20th High School reunion why didn’t I tell anyone what I was going through. The only answer I could give was my family didn’t want me to. 

My life has been a struggle from the beginning. I was bigger than my
classmates, told I couldn’t fight back when teased or picked on and told not to tell what I was going through. Not exactly the best way to grow up, it left me with lot of anger and emotional issues. I didn't deal with it so good. Its taken a long time learning things the hard way and maturing but I’m a better man for it. 

I’ve done things in my life I regret and others that have made me proud and stronger, all in all they have made me who I am, a survivor and an understanding gentle person who hopes he leaves a positive mark on this world.

Thank you for the chance to raise awareness and share our story. It was a pleasure to be interviewed by Diane during our recent radio show visit. I appreciate all you do to try and help hurting people and animals and give us a voice!
Stay connected with Matthew and enjoy his book, "A View from the Street."

No comments: