Monday, April 29, 2013

The Extraordinary Matthew Barrett - Living with Pain!

Click to listen to and enjoy his moving radio interview.                                 
Guest writer!
My name is Matt Barrett, I have been fighting cancers and other issues since I was 2 it all started with basal cell nevus syndrome, a genetic form of cancer I inherited from my dad and has been in my family 6 generations. since then I have fought 11 types of cancer over 44 yrs, 4 brain tumor, twice with lymphoma and bone and all 3 skin cancers. 

I've have had 1710 operations (no that’s not a typo). I've lost my sense of smell and taste, 75% of my nerves in my left leg while being scarred extensively over my body and face. Being homeless and dealing with this most my adult life with little to no help from my family has been hard to say the least. 

People ask, "How are you doing?" The severe pain is hard to fathom. Pain meds don't work anymore. Being stared at or hearing comments from people about how I look or being asked to leave a store or restaurant because "You are scaring kids," hurts too. These are just a few things I face daily. 

My wish is people wouldn't judge a book or person by their cover. Instead may we get to
know each person inside. I am so thankful for IDA and the work they do to help and educate people. I have been told I am an inspiration to people. I'm just someone trying to live the best I can and leave a positive mark behind me, in this world.

Thank you for the chance to raise awareness and share our story. It was a pleasure to be interviewed by Diane during our recent radio show visit. I appreciate all you do to try and help hurting people and animals and give us a voice!
Stay connected with Matthew and enjoy his book, "A View from the Street."


No comments: