Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Lessons Learned from Living with Chronic Illness - A Cryoglobulinemia Story

"Your true self is revealed during challenges." - Dr. Diane Dike


Award-winning author and speaker Dr. Diane Dike found out she had cryoglobulinemia right before she began her doctorate degree. “I was diagnosed in my early 20's, so cryoglobulinemia vasculitis (cryo) imposed itself on my entire adult life,” she uttered. “Cryo and me are intimately shackled.”
She explores this connection through her writing, outreach work and sharing hope and encouragement during her radio shows and speaking events. “I was diagnosed with a unique and mysterious disease. I felt alone until I met others with the same confusing medical experience,” she disclosed. If endurance produces character, and character produces hope like the Bible declares in Romans 5:4 then Diane has the authority to speak on all three.
Invisible and Hyper-visible
“Cryo can be an invisible disability,” she explained. “I feel lonely, misunderstood, invisible and hyper-visible at the same time. With a dog strapped to my chest, using a wheelchair and lots of blankets and layers of clothing to endure a flare up or to prevent one a simple shopping trip can include much gawking. People are predictibly both suspicious (when they see me stand up) and amazed." 
Cryo is a mortal blood wound that is both horrible and a blessing at the same time," she exclaimed. It's hard to see how such a horrendous amount of suffering could possibly be a blessing. "It's a blessing because of the people I've met and the opportunities to grow as a human being but horrible because of the painful, lethal and relentless attacks."

Currently, Diane is working on articles that explore cryo from many angles to offer support, awareness and help to those suffering from chronic illness and pain. 
Lessons Learned
Diane learned many lessons from cryoglobulinemia. She discovered what it means to loose what she thought essential to her own identity. Bouts of harsh and confounding symptoms almost took her legs and her life. But that didn't stop her from completing her doctorate degree while teaching special education, working as a professor, doing public relations  for 7 McDonald's Restaurants, singing nightly at Cypress Garden as Angel Bell Diane and teaching swim lessons.

However, as hard as she tried to fight the attacks they finally took her down. Her seven year marriage ended when she was 26. She was forced to give up teaching because of the sheer exhaustion the disease causes and the variables she couldn't control were causing horrific flare ups and draining the life out of her. She lost everything that ever meant anything to her. Sleeping in her car and on friends couches, she sunk into a deep depression where suicide seemed the only way to find relief. "Who would care and what would it matter if tomorrow came and I wasn't there? That is the black cloud that enveloped me."


Lifted from the Pit

However, an encounter with Jesus Christ lifted her from the pits of despair to a life worth living by taking what was meant for evil and working with God to turn it for good! "It was a huge focus shift. Through christian worship music, a specific song on the radio and reading the Bible I learned to take His hand and we've been walking together ever since. 

This breakthrough didn't change my circumstances and no miraculous healing occurred where I was delivered from the daily pain but I gained a new perspective," Diane recalls. "I was able to see my tests become a testimony and a song returned to my heart." 


"I have faltered many times but I've not let go of His hand." She declared, "You really learn what you are made of when the major pieces of yourself and life are gone. You also learn who really cares. Helping hurting people and animals so they know they are not alone became my outlet for grief."
Accepting a New Normal
"My new normal became cryoglobulinemia and everything that it dictates," she explains. Physically, each year Diane is weaker and slower, she tries not to let it get her down because she is grateful. Grateful to still have her legs and her life. "No matter what new symptom blasts their way into my daily experiences I encourage myself with this mantra: this too shall pass. I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Nothing is impossible with God. Whether I live or die... He is with me and nothing is going to happen to me that He doesn't know about and allow. So keep trusting, keep holding on, He has a plan." 

Diane is resilient and tenacious helping hurting people and animals all over the world. "If I stop doing that then cryoglobulinemia wins. Humor and prayer keep me going strong and courageous no matter what. That doesn't mean I don't collapse in tears sometimes. However the important thing is, I get back up." 


Enduring daily pain has changed Diane forever. "Cryoglobulinemia has been a harsh teacher but it's taught many lessons I may never have learned." I've learned how to hold on to HOPE. Occasionally it feels as if I'm dangling over the abyss but I keep fighting my way back. I have two choices. Give up or stay strong. I'm going to stay strong!"
Bitter or Better
"Challenges will never end but they can be the reason we become a stronger, better person. Aristotle formulated that true happiness comes from experiences that stimulate our soul. Experiences that challenge and inspire us to grow into our  potential. 

Diane said, "Facing our pain challenges us to become our strongest, wisest and best self able to bring God great glory. We get bitter or better. I'm choosing better. Our greatest reward is not found out there somewhere but in a personal relationship with our creator who knows us better than we know ourselves." 

"It's good to turn what was meant for evil around for good. To discover through a chronic illness such as cryoglobulinemia that I'm stronger than I ever dreamed I could be. Maybe that's the greatest lesson of all. To be okay with my imperfections and learn to love and accept life and myself anyway.

To learn more about Dr. Diane Dike and her nonprofit outreach work and inspirational books go to:
DianeDike.org

No comments: